An adaptogen is “a nontoxic substance and especially a plant extract that is held to increase the body’s ability to resist the damaging effects of stress and promote or restore normal physiological functioning” Merriam Webster.
Stress runs rampant in our society. While I believe that we can avoid and mitigate (re-frame our thoughts/change our perspective/change our reactions) stress; some stress we cannot. We are constantly under states of stress that we weren’t 200 years ago. For example: me sitting under fluorescent lights in front of my computer all day at work is stressful on my body.
I think that everyone living in the modern world should take adaptogens. Including adaptogens in my daily routine has changed my life! It is not like a sleeping pill, you cannot take adaptogens one time and your stress response is magically fantastic; you need to consistently take them over time to really reap the benefits. I like to rotate the adaptogens I use.
Here are some of my favorite products:
- Four Sigmatic – Adaptogen Blend
- Four Sigmatic Cordyceps Exixir
- TransFormation Enzymes – Transcendence ReZen
- My functional medicine doc, Angela Scopel orders these for me.
- Pure Encapsulations – Phyto-ADR – Hypoallergenic Adrenal Support Formula
- Adaptogen-R3 TM Premier Adaptogenic and Stress Support Formula
Side Note: As with most things, quality does matter. You will get what you pay for.
Mark Sisson from Mark’s Daily Apple does a fine job discussing some adaptogens in the 4 articles below:
- Adaptogen Effects: American and Asian Ginseng
- More on Adaptogens: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, and Holy Basil
- Adaptogens: Maca Root, Sea Buckthorn Oil, and Schisandra
- Two Final (and Favorite) Adaptogens: Rhodiola Rosea and Bacopa Monnieri
Check out my post: Adrenals & Cordyceps
I also like MommyPotamus’ article The Beginner’s Guide to Adaptogens For Adrenal Support
I hope that you give adaptogens a try. If you do, leave me a comment and tell me all about it.